Listing effective July 1, 2017
Wanda N. Smith, MDCR - President
801 Crawford Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Employer: Commissioner of the Revenue City of Portsmouth since 2011, Commissioner of the Revenue City of Chesapeake 1995-2011
Years of Service: 21
- Supervisor Member of the Rotary Club of Churchland
- Secretary of the Rotary Club of Churchland 2016-17
- Member of CHIP Board
- Sustaining Member of the Portsmouth Service League
- Virginia Commissioner of the Revenue Association
Highlights / Miscellaneous Information / Special Interests: Mother of 2 daughters and I have one grandson that keeps me very busy.
John Ziercher - First Vice President
County of Frederick
Office of Ellen E. Murphy, Commissioner of the Revenue
107 N. Kent Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Employer: Frederick County Commissioner of the Revenue
Years of Service: 1 year 4 months
Work Experience: Prior to local government, I worked in the restaurant industry for 25 years as an Area Manager, internal auditor, and as an accounting and food cost consultant.
Education: BS in Accounting from Towson University 1988
Highlights / Miscellaneous Information / Special Interests: lot of time is spent with my wife and 2 young boys 9 and 11. You can find us either skiing, biking, or playing soccer. Playing jazz trumpet professionally on the side is a passion of mine also.
I look forward to serving on the board for VALTA in my new career, and helping in any way I can.
Julie Rivard - Second Vice President
Business Tax Auditor
P. O. Box 8000
Leesburg, VA 20177
Hello, my name is Julie Rivard and I am a Business Tax Auditor with Loudoun County. I began my position with Loudoun County in January 2016. I have a passion for Virginia local tax code interpretation and application and greatly enjoy speaking with and learning from other professionals across the localities in Virginia. It fuels my desire to learn and my drive to solve the “tough cases”. Also, I find great personal enjoyment from sharing what I’ve learned with others.
I am happily married to my husband, Seth and have 2 daughters, Leslie and Laurel, who are 14 and 11 years old. My girls are avid dancers and I spend most of my free time running them to and from practices, performances and high school dance team events. I live in a cabin in the woods in Harper’s Ferry, WV, directly adjacent to the Appalachian Trail. When I am not in the car, I enjoy hiking the trail and peaceful mornings on my screened porch.
I hold a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a minor in Accounting from Shepherd University. My past work experience includes:
- 4 years holding 3 different progressive positions with accounting firm KPMG LLP;
- 1 ½ years with Jefferson County, WV managing Federal and state grants and large community driven projects;
- 2 years with Penn National Gaming serving as the Internal Auditor for their largest property; and
- 3 years with Berkeley County, WV financially managing their Fire Board and 8 separate fire stations.
I am proud of the processes I have written while with Loudoun County, to include the Appeal Process and my most recent achievement is constructing the Loudoun County State Deduction Methodology. I feel very lucky to work for Commissioner Wertz and with Deputy Michelle Guenther who give me the leeway to research and write, humor my spirited ideas and give me their input along the way. I am so happy to be here today to present the Loudoun County State Deduction Methodology to you!
Stephanie L. Bristow - Corresponding Secretary
City of Norfolk
Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue
P.O. Box 2260
Norfolk, VA 23501
Current Position/Title: Auditor Employer: Commissioner of the Revenue, City of Norfolk
Years of Service: 1 year (March 2016)
- BBA in Accounting and Finance from James Madison University - 2003
- MBA with a concentration in Assurance Services (Auditing) from Old Dominion University - 2006
- City of Norfolk Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office since 2016
- Prior experience – 12 years working in public, private, and non-profit accounting, 1 year with the City of Chesapeake Treasurer’s Office
Scott Motley - Recording Secretary
Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue
2400 Washington Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607
Current Position: Business Audit Supervisor
Employer: Newport News Commissioner of the Revenue
Years of Service: 4 years with Newport News / 6 years with City of Roanoke
- Economic Development Project Manager, City of Phoenix
- Economic Development Specialist, City of Roanoke
- Business License Inspector/Auditor, City of Roanoke Commissioner of the Revenue
Achievements/Certifications: Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue
Education: BS in Public Administration from James Madison University
Highlights/Miscellaneous Information/Special Interests: Married with two amazing children
Kathy O'Brien-Bowles - Treasurer
City of Chesapeake Commissioner of Revenue
P. O. Box 15285
Chesapeake, VA 23328-5285
Current Position/Title: Audit Supervisor
Employer: Commissioner of the Revenue City of Chesapeake
Years of Service: 18 years (November 2000)
Education: BS in Accounting from Christopher Newport University 1999
Achievements/Certifications: Master Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue since 2014
Years of experience/Highlighted Work history:
- City of Chesapeake Commissioner of Revenue’s office since 2000
- Prior experience – 20 years working in the construction industry
Highlights / Miscellaneous Information / Special Interests: Married with two daughters. Volunteer as treasurer for homeowners association, as well as volunteering at CHKD.
Todd D. Divers - Commissioner Liaison
Commissioner of the Revenue
City of Charlottesville
P. O. Box 2964
605 E. Main Street, Room A130
Charlottesville, VA 22602
Employer: Commissioner of the Revenue, City of Charlottesville
Years of Service: 2 and counting!
Education: B.A. in Sociology and a Master of Teaching degree from the University of Virginia in 1995
Work Experience: After spending a number of years teaching social studies in the Greene County and Albemarle County School systems, Mr. Divers spent ten years working for a local sign business before being elected to office in 2013.